SELLING HOUSES DURING COVID 19
Sellers need to be aware that COVID-19 and the strategies to mitigate risks may impact the sale of their property. Self-isolation strategies could give potential buyers more time to focus on their property purchase, but they could also impact potential buyers’ desire to view properties or complete a purchase.
By discussing the potential impacts of COVID-19 on the sale of your property, and reviewing the options that are available such as:
* Requesting health and recent travel information from potential buyers and their professionals before any showing to
give the seller an indication of any risk. Buyers are obligated to either be truthful or simply decline to answer. Inform
the seller that they have no duty to show the property if they are uncomfortable with any presented risk.
* The McKay Team will create a marketing video showing a tour of the house to reduce the number of viewings. A
virtual video helps to filter out the buyers so only serious buyers who make an offer to purchase subject to a viewing. * By making viewings conditional on buyer’s and their representatives wearing sterile gloves, masks, or the use of
alcohol-based hand sterilizer.
* By making viewing conditional on the buyers and their representative not touching anything. This will require leaving all
lights on, all closets and doors open, with a few drawers and cabinets open. After a showing, Buyer representative is
obligated to clean doorknobs, cupboard hardware, light switches, as well as surfaces in areas like bathrooms and
kitchens before and after each showing or home inspection.
* The McKay Team will help sellers set out obligations and procedures for viewings and home inspections in writing. A
plan to clean doorknobs, cupboard hardware, light switches, as well as surfaces in areas like bathrooms and kitchens
before and after each showing or home inspection taking all precautions necessary. Where feasible,
* The McKay Team will communicate virtually using on line meeting tools such as Zoom or Skype.
* The McKay Team uses electronic signatures “Repree” for signing documents. The McKay Team will conduct financial
transactions electronically. Should an “in person” meetings be required,
* The McKay Team will maintain a safe distance of at least six feet (two meters) at all times for viewings and inspections. * The McKay Team suggests all visitors to wear gloves and masks, if available The seller may also have the option to
temporary pull their property off the market. Any current listings may also be pulled off the market by terminating the
listing entirely and entering into, and signing, a new agreement to re-list the property at a future date.
* The McKay Team will discuss the pros and cons of each of these options with you, including how property inventory or
prices may be affected during the current pandemic before pulling the property off the market. Additionally, if the seller
or someone in the seller’s household has tested positive for COVID-19 and is self-isolating, they have an obligation to
disclose this to a member of the McKay Team. This is to ensure everyones safety. The McKay Team may not want to list
the property while a health risk exists or may do so only if the risk is disclosed to potential buyers before viewing.
The McKay Team will have a thorough conversation with their potential buyer client to talk through concerns and any alternatives available to them. The McKay Team will encourage their buyers to assess their own risk based on their personal circumstances, if their immune system is compromised or have a pre-existing respiratory condition, and seek advice from healthcare professionals as necessary.
Buyers need to be aware that COVID-19 and strategies to mitigate it may impact their property searches for the time being.
Self-isolation strategies could impact how properties are being marketed, if in-person viewings are available, or whether the sellers keep the property on the market.
The McKay Team will disclose the potential impacts of COVID-19 on processes around viewing properties and present options for mitigating risk to the health of all parties. These options could include:
* The McKay Team will only show buyers properties that they are genuinely considering purchasing.
* The McKay Team has placed viewing conditions, such as for the seller to leave the lights on and doors open, including
a few cabinets, closets, and drawers to avoid touching any surfaces.
* The McKay Team will have buyers request they answer a few questions regarding their health and recent travel
information. Buyers are obligated to either be truthful or simply decline to answer. Sellers also have the right to
request this information of them and can decline to show the property if they choose.
* The McKay Team will travel in separate vehicles to viewings to limit the amount of time spent in close proximity to each other
* The McKay Team will suggest to their Buyer to take advantage of virtual video tours for initial viewings of properties,
understanding that some sellers may require an offer to purchase before viewings, to limit viewer to motivated buyers * The McKay Team will take precautions during viewings, including wearing sterile gloves or using alcohol-based,
anti- microbial hand sanitizer, and not touching, doorknobs, cupboard hardware, light switches or other surfaces
* The McKay Team, where feasible, will communicate virtually using on line meeting tools such as Zoom or Skype * The McKay Team will use electronic signatures for signing documents, via Repree.
* The McKay Team will provide the option for financial transactions be electronic including for deposits.
* When meeting in person, The McKay Team will maintain a safe distance of at least six feet (two meters) at all times. Buyers could also choose to postpone the purchase process until a later date. The McKay Team will discuss the pros and cons of this decision and ensure you update the buyer representation agreement, with any amended dates and conditions.